Valuing Our Freedom of Expression

                 “I spoke out publicly on behalf of girls and our right to learn. And this made me a target”. 

I want you to imagine not being able to pursue your passion without fearing your life. 

As only a teenager at the time, Malala Yousafzai stood up against the Taliban in Pakistan. She was shot in the head by a Taliban gunman in 2012 for expressing her belief in girls receiving an education. Fortunately, she survived.

Visit  https://malala.org/malalas-story for more of Malala's story


  

Attending a prestigious university where opinion and class discussion is encouraged is not foriegn to me. As I am writing this, I am sitting in the Cottrell study rooms with my MacBook, airpods, and a starbucks coffee, with the picture perfect view of the beautiful campus of High Point University.  As I stare at the Cottrell stairs, I can’t help but visualize the future. I am beginning to build myself as I pursue my passion of journalism at a place where I am encouraged to express myself and inspired by my colleagues unique and diverse ideas. 



Asked to explore the eight values of free expression, two have resonated with me immensely, after comparing Malala’s life to my own. 


To Promote Innovation; a community in which free speech is valued and protected is likely to be a more energized, creative, interesting society as its citizens actively fulfill themselves in many diverse and interesting ways. 

Individual Self- Fulfillment (Self-Actualization); Free speech enables individuals to express themselves and thereby create their own identity, and in the process perhaps, find kindred spirits. Freedom of speech thus becomes an aspect of human dignity, human agency, and autonomy. 


Freedom of speech allows us to pursue our passions. The American government has its faults, but I believe there is so much to be grateful for as an American. 

Places all around the world often face the harsh reality of not having the freedom of speech we have here in the United States. According to https://cpj.org/reports/2019/09/10-most-censored-eritrea-north-korea-turkmenistan-journalist/,  the ten most censored countries are Eritrea, North Korea, Turkmenistan. Saudia Arabia, China, Vietnam, Iran, Equatorial Guinea, Belarus, and Cuba. 


The American Dream is described as the idea in which every American has the opportunity to achieve their goals and success. The meaning of the American Dream is often misinterpreted, it  is not meant to be the same for everyone. Every dream is unique to the individual. By simply being an American, we are not guaranteed to climb the social ladder, achieve major success, or have a great salary. Being an American gives us the opportunity to chase after our dreams and desires. The beauty of the American Dream is that it provides hope, the determination, and the drive to fight for what we want. Each individual has the opportunity to make something of themselves and it all begins with the freedom of speech. 




Free speech promotes innovation and Individual Self-Fulfillment, two of the eight values of Free expression that resonated with me the most, and key concepts that help each individual achieve their own American Dream. What I perceive the American Dream to be is having the ability to express myself and form my own identity. 


As an American I am grateful for the chance to chase my dreams vigorously. Being able to advocate my ideas can potentially inspire others to do the same. The vocalization of personal ideas can result in numerous ways to approach the same thing, leading to the best possible outcomes and solutions.


Comments